29. Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard (could have skipped or only read the 1st and last chapter)
30. The Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd(enjoyed lots)
Time to pack for up North as the corn made it and easily was knee high by the fourth of July.
I thought it was a great week ... a little bit of warmth to get us into the water, some rain to help us stay inside and read, and cool days to enjoy sitting and gabbing outside, relishing in the thought that none of us were at work. We had a large bonfire one night this year which isn't the usual tradition. It was fun. Kids seemed in heaven this year running barefoot most of the time, pontooning, scooping up minnows, hunting bugs and making habitats for them, fishing, and just being together. Nice dinners out for Bob and I. Went to the sand bar for the first time, between North and South Twin lakes - that was a blast! Young and old alike smiled and got in the water and floated or played.
Memories ... so many sometimes pop into my head and I feel like I should have something on me at all times to write down things I want to remember. The other day I was remembering one time when I babysat for Charley and Henry here and very young Henry woke up crying and couldn't settle down so I rocked him for a LONG time singing the Itsy Bitsy spider until we both went limp. It did the trick and I never wanted to put him back in the crib. Or the time at Raina and Andy's wedding when Charley saw me coming down the long hallway in the hotel and he ran and ran into my arms to say hello. Uncle Chuck's funeral triggered many 'ol time memories too. I think we must be reminded that we have these crazy fun relatives who are special in their own ways, and when they are gone we wish we had talked to them lots more and asked questions galore.
Now for a few "July" photos.
My grandparents (and my toes)
Stopped at the Wheelhouse in Waupaca on our way home from the cottage and enjoyed some great tunes by West Side Andy and Mel Ford, and friends. Gorgeous setting, great food, free corn and lucky to see some old friends.
Elijah Casey, never grew tired of trying to scoop up things in his net. No matter the weather, I don't think he even felt the water! It was all "business" and a joy to behold.
Great "bloodys" made by Wenda with a little help from her friends.
Pizzas on the grill made by Bob, with fresh basil on tortillas. Worked perfect.
Great "bloodys" made by Wenda with a little help from her friends.
Pizzas on the grill made by Bob, with fresh basil on tortillas. Worked perfect.
OK, over and out for July, because, after all, it's August already!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment