I am not good at linking to things (in life) but if I click below, I think it brings up another link below to click on and then there I am in "downtown" Mundelein, long ago. Many memories from this little block which was also about 1 block away from my Great Aunt Alice's and Aunt Betty Ann's house and maybe 3 blocks from my Grandma Kitty and Grandpa Frank's house (not that we went to either often but we sure did frequent the buildings on this street). Yopps for fresh meats and groceries, Mason's Drug Store on the corner for candy, flavored cokes, and my first banana split, usually after a trip to the library. The railroad tracks/station were right to the East across the street, trains that went past often and I heard their melody most nights. It's a peaceful memory. At the end of a this block was Lad & Helen's bar. My dad went there often and would see all of his friends and cronies. He dressed up for Halloween one year, so well disguised that no one ever guessed who he was sitting at the bar, having a tapper. When I was very young, Dad would let me ride along in the car, he'd run into Lad & Helen's and I'd have to wait in the car. Sometimes those waits got long as of course we didn't have books, iPads, phones, or anything to keep us occupied in that 'ol 54 green Ford. Probably did have a box of Milk Duds though. Pat, what do you remember?
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2041345711385&set=gm.10150263863838071&type=1
If one of my kids wants to call me and help me with linking in this blog so I can repair the method I used, please do.
My next books were cool.
6. The Interestings by Meg Wolitzer - interesting people who I felt I knew by the time I finished the book.
7. The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo - recommended by Greg, sounds scary but the author assures us there have been no rebounds once it's been done!
8. The Boys in the Boat by Daniel James Brown (a choice for 2 book clubs and very good - would recommend this to anyone!)
This week my radishes froze in my insulated lunch bag on the way to work. I had to stop for a 2 hour meeting, and that's all it took to freeze those buggers. Glad I had my banana in my purse so it did not freeze too. There are 6 cardinals fighting for spots on the bird feeder right now...it's cold, and Gerald dared to send us a photo of spring flowers that are popping up in California.
On two Saturdays this month I'm doing a movie marathon at the Sheboygan Theater with friends Barb and Sharon. AMAZING and I love it to the max. They have beautiful red lounge chairs in all of their theaters and they are very adjustable and roomy! For the first time in my life I will have seen all of the 8 nominated movies for Oscars. Last Saturday I saw: American Sniper, Boyhood, The Theory of Everything and Whiplash. Today I will see: Birdman, The Grand Budapest Hotel, the Imitation Game and Selma. Did I say I love this? I'll be ready for the Oscars on TV Sunday (tomorrow) night.
Had a great birthday this month, but my age is not fun to say, just funny because Bob and I are still recuperating weekly from our weekends...may it never end!
This isn't the actual ship, but was one we were on in 2006. We are looking forward to a short cruise in March for our 45th wedding anniversary. Need to get out of Dodge and hope our summer clothes still fit. Wish us luck.
No comments:
Post a Comment