Tuesday, March 31, 2020

"Mom's" Memories



Following are some blurbs from letters that I wrote to John & Mari about our kids.  They love/loved our kids very much and loved hearing about everything and anything.  Good friends  :-)

Sarah, Greg & Raina, please forgive me if you don't like some of these words, I've always loved you three so much and treasure our relationships still.

I may have posted this before, and I'm sorry if I did, thus it could be a repeat.
Love, Mom

"10/31/86  Happy Halloween - Raina is eating waffles and just said: 'Gosh, John sent me 3 letters and I only sent him 2.  I don't think he likes his new house because he only sends pictures of everything else'."

"11/86  Raina wants to know if there are Chinese people in heaven.  And what does the gerbil do up in heaven (he died).  Also - why can grownups do everything better than kids???"

"1/29/87  Hi - So we're sitting around today - canceled afternoon kindergarten because of blowing snow storm - Raina cried - now what should she do?!  So we read a story together; fold sox (she's great at folding them into balls); play a new game called Stratego (new to Raina); and out of the blue Raina says 'Mom, do you think it's anybody's birthday today?'  I say - 'I don't think so' and I check the calendar and sure enough - I say 'how did you know? It's John's!'  So she says, 'well, I'll have to write him a card'.  Sorry it's late but she thought of you on your day anyway.  When I told Bob about this and wondered why she thought it might be someone's birthday, Bob suggested that Raina, since a young age, has been conditioned to having cake and ice-cream celebrations and subconsciously is missing these."

"8/87  Raina says (after asking what the Kendricks will name their new baby) 'what happens if you plan to name him Jimmy but he looks like a Todd?' Later that same day Raina says 'since we have so much work or business to do at home maybe we should just move.'  We had been talking about things like wallpapering, painting the house, a huge bees nest that we'll need an exterminator for etc."

"8/87  Sarah's friend Amy (from Minnesota) came to spend a week.  She's just that much more mature to make Sarah seem younger.  Amy is into soap operas, movie star magazines, seeing most PG-13 movies with her folks, and talking about boys and who's going with who.  We're glad Sarah is Sarah - she'll grow up fast enough.  Sarah lately has been into riding her used 10-speed bike, swimming and reading ~ and still playing house and school.  I did take the Girls to see the movie LaBamba which we all enjoyed and it opened Sarah's eyes on life a bit."

"8/87  Greg doesn't seem to keep any fat on his body even though he eats.  I guess it's because he is always on the move.  Rob would be proud of his 'ol friend Greg on his skateboard ~ of course his knees are interesting looking too."

"March 1988  Driving in the car one day, Greg said: 'If I had one wish in the world it would be that our whole family would live forever.'

"March 1988  Raina came skipping in the house from school one day, convinced that we had a new puppy!  She said 'I know we have a dog or puppy Mom, I just know it, where is it, there's dog poop out in the driveway, so we must have one.'  Getting a dog is one of Raina's big wishes these days."

"March 1988   Sarah is very logical these days.  After Greg requested we get a magician for his birthday -- one that we saw at his Cub Scout blue and gold awards night -- Sarah comments:  'now why would the boys want to see him again after just seeing him at that Cub Scout thing?'  OR one morning while I am taking off all the labels of our Campbell's soup cans (Raina's school collects them for free items and she couldn't see why we must wait to eat the soup to take the labels off, why not write on the can what kind of soup it is)  -- Sarah states: 'I hope you're awake Mom and don't mix them up while you do this.'

"5/88   Now -- speaking of Raina -- she came home the other day (this may be a part you'll have to rip out of your keeping file if you're really doing it)  saying the world was going to end on May 14th -- the Russians were going to bomb us and what were we to do?  I of course remember some of John's statements and passed on to her that it was no problem, we'd all be gone together so don't worry.  But -- she says: 'But MOM! I WANT TO HAVE SOME BABIES.'  She moved me."

"Jan. 1992  I knew I wouldn't stick to handwriting ... always want to say a lot quickly and it's just much easier to sit down at the keyboard.  Thought I'd dump about the kids for awhile since you asked about them.

Raina is ready to blossom but doesn't want to really.  She is popular at school with the girls but has a problem that some of her friends like boys and the feelings are mutual and Raina thinks no boy will ever like her.  I discovered this one night when I saw her putting a worry doll under her pillow and I asked what was wrong.  She carries around a picture of the TV/music star Will Smith (star of the TV show Fresh Prince of Bellaire) and tells all of her friends that he is who she likes.  Her locker and bedroom walls are also full of pictures of him (a handsome black fellow in case you don't know).  The phone is always ringing for Raina and some friend or another wants to do something with her.  It seems she is nice, tactful and fun to be with.  She is not taking any dance lessons this year because no one else wanted to and she didn't want to do it alone.  So far so good with the trombone.  Raina plays some sports.  Her very favorite thing in the entire world is reading.  She reads before she goes to sleep, when she gets up and any other time possible.  She still enjoys reading out loud and loves to go to the book store and library -- especially the bookmobile where the ladies are extra nice and discuss books with her.  Raina does everything in a rush.  I wish so that she would slow down just a bit so that things would be done just a bit better.  She gets a great report card and all the teachers love her.  What can I say?  I'm not bragging, but I know that you guys wonder about the kids and know them pretty well yourselves and I think you're really interested -- otherwise I wouldn't type this.  Raina stands up for herself with Greg and Sarah and sasses right back at them -- but also tattles which drives them nuts.  She's our best letter writer and keeps a very comfortable MESSY bedroom. 

With Raina this year we went thru the big question about whether Santa was real or was it us.  It was hard.  She doesn't want to believe that it's us.  She and I hugged a lot and Sarah tried to butt in and say things like -- 'oh Raina, don't worry, Christmas will still be special' etc. etc.  I tried to be gentle about it all.  Santa still came with a bang and Raina can't imagine that her parents could afford all of that.  See we always gave the kids each a gift too so it was hard for them to figure out.

Do you still have that goofy file I once talked about where I asked you to keep info about the kids?  Maybe someday this will all be interesting to them.

Greg is a typical middle school boy whose feet are too big for his body!  He's ready to blow up one minute and friendly the next but always an air head.  Can't remember most things and never really knows what's going on or what's supposed to happen next.  This week he has a concert.  I had this on my calendar and asked him about it and he said he didn't know a thing about it and didn't think there was one (he plays baritone in band mind you!)  So I called the school just to check if there really was a concert and yes, there is one Thursday night.  So Tuesday night he comes home with the info.  Now when the rest of the class found out Greg must have been in La La Land.  He didn't realize that they've been practicing songs for this concert.  Now what gets me is that when we get there he'll do just fine and be very proud.  Life is a roller coaster.  You guys can quit laughing right now.  I think you asked about the kids so you can laugh at us and say 'I told you so'.  Oh well.  So we must go thru this.   Hopefully we'll stay on top of things, not give up and end up all sane.  Greg doesn't want to put forth any extra effort in ANYTHING.  He only does what's necessary.  He doesn't want to stand out in front of any of his classmates as being too good of a student either so he has stopped participating and raising his hand.  He's heard kids call other kids school boy if they do that.  So his grades have gone down, his handwriting stinks and he does the minimum at the last minute.  BUT... HIS FEET MUST ALWAYS LOOK GOOD!  The most important thing in life is all shoes.  It's what the biggest topic of discussion in life is all about.  No kidding!  Greg is also very understanding and doesn't like kids who tattle or act hot or two faced.  He can see things in certain kids now and it's sort of neat to see him understand what's really going on.  He has a girlfriend ... Katie.  When he was in 6th grade a lot of girls liked him and asked him to dance at  dances.  Then he sort of stuck with Katie and now none of the other girls bother him.  They just write notes and talk on the phone, etc.  But it's sort of cute.  They exchanged Christmas gifts and Greg had the hardest time trying to decide what to get her -- ended up with a stuffed Donald Duck.  She gave him 3 singles on cassette tapes.  As the kids say, they are going together but there is really no going involved.

Greg still plays basketball, baseball, soccer and tennis.  He likes tennis best and I think that's because he's an individual competitor versus a team person, at least right now.  He's in boy scouts and it's a very good troop but sometimes I think Greg would chuck that too.  He always has a good time on the outings though.  This Christmas I enjoyed one statement he made and maybe if I put it down on paper I'll remember it.  About December 15th, when things are really hectic and he has none of his gifts yet and what he does have he hasn't wrapped, he states:  'Oh, I just hate Christmas.  Let's see though, it's only 10 days until Christmas. Oh, I can't wait!'

One more paragraph about Greg before I go on.  Just so you know I'm not just bragging here ..... he has a terrible temper and can't stand losing.  Sometimes something is built up inside him and he takes it out on us -- any family member.  Are these his hormones??  I'm assuming it is and that when he's oh maybe 21, that he won't be like this anymore.  It is hard to kick back and let him grow up.

Sarah's knows everything and knew even more when she was a freshman!  I mean, 'did you realize that there was this stuff out there that you could put on your legs that would take the hair off so that you wouldn't have to shave?'  Even though I said what any mother would, she had to try it.  She doesn't wear sox most of the time and her dad has about had it, but he's pretty good about it and says that as long as she has a pair in her back pack in case of emergencies, then it's ok.  However, I wonder if she really does have a pair in her backpack.  Sarah would rather look just right than be warm.

She's really a pretty good kid though.  She continues to work hard in school but doesn't always test out the greatest.  So the college she attends will be on grade point average and not on SAT test scores.  This year she is taking English, Geometry, Biology, Gym, Band, German and Social Studies.  She takes private flute lessons but that still didn't help her test scores for this one test where he decides which chair you'll sit in.  So Sarah gets an A in band but sits in the second to last chair in the flute section.  The only way she could move up a chair was to challenge the next higher chair.  So she got up enough courage (she couldn't do this last year because she was a freshman) and challenged the younger girl next to her.  Mr. Conger gave them both a piece of music to practice for a week.  Then they both had to go into a room and one by one had to play it where he could hear but not see and then he had to determine who did the best job.  Well Sarah had no problem with that and of course played the best.  So she moved up a chair.  Then she decided to just keep on going and challenged the next girl too.  That girl was too scared even to attempt the challenge and just gave up her seat to Sarah.  So Sarah is moving up the flutes anyway -- and feeling pretty good about it too.  The band teacher is proud of her.  He himself can't understand what's wrong with her test scores.

Last summer Sarah passed a Lifeguarding class.  It was difficult -- and she did the physical part better than most kids in the class (because she was on the swim team).  But she had to take the written part twice.  She was very excited to pass this.  Maybe it will help her out when she goes to that Y camp to work this summer.  She also thinks she'd like to lifeguard someday.  Swim Team was great for Sarah this year.  She received an award at the end for most improved sophomore which she was proud of, especially because the kids themselves voted on it.  Sarah didn't win any events but better her times every meet.  She is probably going to go to a swim camp this summer and now she and a friend are going to Nautilus at the Y to work out a bit and try to get stronger for swimming, as recommended by the swim coaches.

The most exciting thing going on in Sarah's life right now is Driver's Education -- much to Bob's dismay!!!  He keeps asking 'when is Sarah's 16th birthday again?'  Wish us ALL luck!  So far she is just doing the classroom part.  Here in Sheboygan a person must take Driver's Education privately.  It costs $150 -- choke, choke!  Most of Sarah's friends have taken it already but we were sort of dragging our feet and hoping not to rush into this.  I know you are probably laughing again.

All in all Sarah and I get along pretty good.  She likes to come home and tell me everything about her day and she hangs around with a really nice bunch of girls this year.  Most are involved in one sport or another, play in the band or are cheerleaders or on the poms.  They are not the most popular bunch in school.  Some of them are starting to date but several aren't yet.  Boys is a very big topic of discussion though.  Since Sarah has that one date last summer under her belt, she's much more relaxed about the boy situation I think.  At least the girls all know that a cool boy liked her (he has since gone to college -- was a senior last year -- I don't remember if I told you all this already -- if not, they went to play tennis once last summer).

Sarah spends a lot of time in the bathroom which bothers several people in this house.  It must take an hour to get her hair just right and I can't seem to get her to move into her room after she's done with the wet part.

Sarah wants to experience lots of exciting things in life.  She's our only one who will ride all the rides at Great America.  Since going para sailing in Florida, now she talks about bunji (bungy?) cord jumping all the time.  She is going to try downhill skiing next Sunday with a bunch of girls, going with the church group.  She used to say she wanted to go to college in New Mexico but now she says she'll go to UW-Oshkosh, being more realistic, and she'll live in New Mexico or Colorado someday.  She really wanted to go over to Germany for 6 months and have a girl come here and we were all almost convinced it was actually going to happen.  We were even going to move bedrooms all around upstairs to make it work out.  All of a sudden though, lots of things entered Sarah's mind and she realized she couldn't do it (actually Bob and I were worried about the girl coming here part of it, but we didn't let on about that.)  Sarah instead wanted to: be confirmed with her class next year; take driver's education; go to a swim camp; and a few other smaller things.  She thinks she can go to Germany in some way, maybe in college.  Maybe this whole idea will pass too, who knows.

Sarah's room is usually a mess and she keeps her door closed but she's pretty good at cleaning it up when it's to her advantage.

Am running out of room.  Maybe in 10 years we can show these to the kids, but before that they'd probably kill me for telling you some of this."




Well I can't seem to delete this table so I'm leaving it here, sorry

















































13.  Home by Harlan Coben
14.  How to Walk Away by Katherine Center (Book Babes, Jamie's choice) Very good
15.  The Girls with No Names by by Serena Burdick (enjoyed a lot)
16.  The Girl Thy Left Behind by Roxanne Veletzos (Racy Readers, Lee's choice).  Very good!!!
17.  Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer.  I didn't like the subject matter (drug addiction) but wanted to see how it ended.
18.  City of Thieves by David Benioff (coming of age during WW2, in Russia & Germany - I loved this book and the friendship between 2 guys on a search for 1 dozen eggs)
19.  How The Light Gets In by Jolina Petersheim (takes place in Mennonite area in Wisconsin)
20.  Winter in Paradise by Elin Hilderbrand (a fun read, but a trilogy so have to wait for the next one now)

1 comment:

Sarah Wroblewski said...

Wow! This is amazing and such a gift! I thought of Charley when reading all the Greg stuff! That is him! And crack me up about the table at the end!!!