Friday, April 15, 2016

It's Spring and I've been living life...

Only have 11 books under my belt so far this year, but I keep reading.  Too many books, too little time as they say.  Especially when I'm doing other things.

  1. Her by Harriet Lane (I HATED the ending)
  2. Fences, a play by August Wilson.  Will see this soon and I know I'll cry.  
  3. The Bronze Bow by Elizabeth George Speare
  4. The Grownup by Gillian Flynn
  5. Breakfast with Buddha by Roland Merullo
  6. Little Mercies by Heather Gudenkauf
  7. Descent by Tim Johnston
  8. Thinner in 30 by Jenna Wolfe (I want to read it again)
  9. Diary of Ann Frank
  10. The Expected One by Kathleen McGowan
  11. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (I had read this before, but it was a book club pick and I really enjoyed it a second time.
OK, so solitude has been a word creeping up into my soul this year.  Definition:  a state or situation in which you are alone usually because you want to be.  I would love to be able to teach our grandchildren how never to be/feel bored, to love themselves, and to be able to enjoy solitude.  Life is so full of stress and busy activities all the time it seems.  It's crazy!  I'm the first to say that I do and plan too much.  Also, because I broke my leg last year and was stuck in the recliner, I realized that there is so much life out there to be lived and enjoyed.  I also learned that I can say no to things and it will not be the end of the world.

So January brought a great trip to Phoenix with Kathy and to visit Maureen.  Weather was nice and we saw so much.  Maureen was a super tour guide and Kathy a perfect friend to travel with.  Saw the Grand Canyon for the first time and all of it's amazing awesomeness stunned me.  Took too many pictures and was an obvious tourist.  

February was our Clique's trip to Costa Rica this year - a RIU all-incusive resort.  It was perfect weather and a nice resort with monkey sightings.  Lots of limes this time and good drinks. The only negatives, which we knew about going in, was the beach was so different, rocky and dark sand, and very little live music to enjoy.  Beautiful and friendly country, best adult pool, much relaxing and commiserating with our friends.  Did a Mercedes Benz bus tour to a rain forest with swinging bridges, saw an inactive volcano, dined on Costa Rican food, took a wonderful boat ride, and enjoyed a natural hot springs dip to top it off.  

In March we had a family game weekend which I hope will be the first of many.  Played games with the little ones like crazy and the adults too.  Ladies got a pedicure (Sydney's first) one afternoon, and we all cooked and served each other food all weekend, no dining out and no fast food!  The men and kiddos went outside to play a lot and went to the playground with remote control cars, a basketball and burned off steam with Fox.  We had a scoreboard poster to keep track of how many games we all played -- winning adult of the weekend was Sarah and Charley won for the kids.  Nertz was played as one of the favorite games of the weekend.  It was too much fun!

Here we are in April and just returned from a long weekend in Nashville with Wenda, Larry and Pat G.  Stayed in a VRBO condo within  1.4 mile walking distance of Tootsies to give you a reference point.  Had so much fun that none of us wanted to come home.  May have to return in November when the Packers play the Titans.  Live music was fabulous, country and blues too. 

OK, so you can see, I need solitude.  Over and out for now.



1 comment:

Raina and Andy said...

Just a few pics of all those amazing things would be great!!!!!! I can't believe it--I looked at your vacation pics and never heard about some of what you posted about that trip. Wow. You are busy.