On February 23rd, 2018 the Roeder family moved into our home or I should say into half of our house, after they sold their house in West Allis. They stayed until they found and moved into their new home in Mukwonago, out by August 4, 2018. What a "ride" this was for me (and I know also for Bob). I want to blog about it because it was so special and I want to remember it forever. I also want to make a disclaimer: Never during this time did we mean to judge or fall to the ease of giving advice, please know that we love this entire family 100% to the max, just the way they are. We felt so honored to be able to help. Thank you for this gift of your time with us.
Every single time Crosby's uttered the words "Grandpa go?" or "Where's Grampa?" it brought smiles to our faces. All of a sudden Crosby may have found a best buddy to play with outside at our house. My answer to Crosby's question was usually "he's sleeping." He loves balls of all sorts and sports. Most evenings I could see at least 2 or 3 balls on the carpet while I watched TV. I miss those balls.
Eli would stand by my chair often and chat away about the games he has on his iPad, explaining the characters in great detail, until often I'd say "show me on my iPad". OK, granted, it may have been his way of getting more screen time, but not always. Many times he'd say, "Grandma, later when I have my iPad time, do you want to sit with me?" He is into Harry Potter, Jurassic Park and dinosaurs these days, and of course catching critters (frogs and toads mostly) outside.
Hugh makes joyful noises, humming, singing, talking as he plays. He often says "Do you know what? and then explains something that he is very excited to share. Shortly after moving in and when the weather was nicer, Hugh learned to ride his two wheeler while here. That was wow!
We would share suppers a couple of times a week and fill our table with 7 of us. Bob and I loved every minute of this highly entertaining and talkative time, with some eating faster than others of course. Often the discussion centered around "what was the best part of your day?" We all got to reply to that question.
A season of Survivor was on TV during their time here and it was special to get to watch it with Raina and Andy on Thursday nights.. It was really fun, energetic, loud and emotional to watch it together. Otherwise they watched TV in the den and we stayed in the living room.
There were sounds and sights of bouncing balls, boys coming out tattling at night, diaper changes in the hallway, great nappers (Raina and Crosby), serious dino-opoly games, balloons, ants, Captain joining us many evenings, early to bed, early to rise to get to school in West Allis and day care at Brenda's, Raina's "office" in the basement, laundry and more laundry. libraries were explored all over Walworth County, Highway 67 closed, painting of the laundry room. So much I'd love to remember. They saw Bob making treks nightly to the refrigerator and cupboards to find something yummy to eat. Many times Andy would make and share home made popcorn, and he doesn't even like popcorn.
Raina and I never did to get to go on those walks together we'd hoped for. They were working parents of very busy children, and they made this their home for awhile. When they left, they gifted us with their broken TV, which has since been repaired (Ed W. & Henry??) and we truly enjoy in our den. Also they gave us a new pizza cutter to replace our wobbly one, and a new watering can, but I can't remember why. I know the boys helped water veggies and flowers in our garden. If they broke something, it was immediately (often within the hour) replaced, like glass in a picture frame. We all shared the basic groceries to a point, and Bob and I never felt infringed upon in any way.
We hope we gave them enough space to be a family here. We love their new home, and feel like they got everything they wished for in a really nice town. They live a bit closer to us now also, a secret joy of mine.
Thank you Andy and Raina for so much and also for making my knee surgery recovery more joyful.
The garden plot.
Good Morning when I walked into the kitchen!
Taste Test
Hugh loved it, right?!
Crosby looked worried and Eli is encouraging. What were we tasting anyway?
Good Morning Grandma!
Another good morning, no one home but this guy!
Found two of these 'ol dolls and Crosby was interested in their whereabouts daily.
They found frogs (or were they toads) in our window wells, with Grandpa.
And I continued to read:
32. Be Careful What You Wish For by Jeffrey Archer (loving this series)
33. The Good Widow by Liz Benton &Lisa Steinke (I loved this book, the kind I can't put down)
34. All These Beautiful Strangers by Elizabeth Klehfoth (Pat P suggested) I enjoyed it a lot
35. The Unseen World by Liz Moore (book club pick by Betty G.) Took awhile to get into but then didn't want to put it down.
36. The Secrets of Midwives by Sally Hepworth
37. Before We Were Yours by Lisa Wingate (recommended by Lee). Good book, referencing Tennessee Children's Society in Memphis.
38. A Gentleman in Mosco by Amor Towles (listened to 17 hours and 52 minutes!) A good read if a person has time, references many important people and times in history, and also quirky a bit too.
39. Stranded by Jeff Probst (Book 1 of 3, Middle School age books)
40. Snow on the Tulips by Liz Tolsma
41. Stranded 2, Trial by Fire, (Book 2 of 3, by Jeff Probst) - Fun read
42. Girl, Wash Your Face by Rachel Hollis (more for young moms, but I took away some great ideas regarding dreams and goals.)
6 comments:
Awwww I love it. I was wondering if the jelly bean puzzle would get in a picture!!! The ants hahahaha. Love that you miss the balls. Maybe you'll get one for xmas? I also got to use your exercise bike
Alexa was there! a garage sale! A neighbor hot tub! A cherry pie and only one late night Dairy Queen run!! We used your hose and pool and boys got sick and didn't puke on anything! Love all the little moments. All. Of. It. It was too pleasant. Nobody can believe it haha ❤️❤️❤️
Ps your watering can was taped together on the spout with duct tape!!
George!!!!!!
The bird hahah
The taste test was generic vs brand name icecream hahshaa
So fun to read all of this! What a lucky time! Can't wait to see everyone in a few days!
Post a Comment