Sadly Marydonna passed away on Friday January 4, 2019. She had a knee replacement on April 30th and never went home after that. So sad.
Bob, Gary and I flew out to California for the services. They were wonderful and the speeches by Matt and Mark blew us away. We met and hung out with family and met many people in their lives.
We had 2 extra days and we filled them with Gerald driving us to Malibu (ate at Duke's) and Santa Monica (pier - walking and people/beach watching). Saw some of California that we would never have seen on our own and had lots of time to chat with Gerald.
The next day Bob and I went hiking in the North Etiwanda Preserve (mountain area) and then we three went to Matt's for an early dinner with all of the family including Marydonna's two brothers and their wives, Paul & Sue and Rob & Colleen.
It was special to see Gerald's home inside and out (where lemons and oranges grow and are ready to pick), and Matt's home inside and out, including his 5th wheel brand new RV. We were also lucky to see Paul and Sue's home inside and out when they hosted a get together after the funeral. (I drank too much and broke one of their dishes, sad to say.)
It was great to hear Mark joke around and see Theresa with her beautiful daughters and Matt - the chef in the family. Loved getting to know Ryan, Janette and Kim much better also!
Bob, Gary and I stayed at a VRBO rental in Fontana, California for 5 nights. Realized Gary likes bananas, coffee, orange juice and egg sandwiches. It was a big house, so we had lots of room to spread around and have "me time" when needed.
The weather was perfect and we made it home in one piece arriving at the end of a snow blizzard in Wisconsin, and the beginning of record breaking low temps with several days of cancellations.
Anyway, it was a great trip for a sad reason, but which brought much laughter and joy for all. Wished Mary was with us the ENTIRE time.
You can see these mountains from everywhere around where we stayed and from Gerald and Matt's homes. Bob enjoyed a longer hike, and I did a very short jaunt.
On Santa Monica Pier.
Tree in front of Gerald's home, on his driveway, with mountains off in the distance, blue skies and perfect temperatures!
And I begin to read in 2019...
1. The Brave by Nicholas Evans (My suggestion for Racy Readers)
2. The Walk by Richard Paul Evans (first in a series)
3. The Other Side of Lost by Jessi Kirby (YA book, and I loved it)
4. The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris (very good book)
5. Miles to Go by Richard Paul Evans (2nd in a series, love his writing)
6. Vitamin C and the Common Cold by Linus Pauling (read as homework from Tom Roghan)
7. Silent Child by by Sarah A. Denzil (an Audible book and THRILLER totally! I was lured in and caught).
No comments:
Post a Comment