Thursday, March 05, 2009
Team Grandma
It was a week to remember and I don't think there was a place either of us would rather have been - referring to Grandma Charlie and myself (Grandma Barb). We were so blessed and lucky to be offered the opportunity to babysit for almost a whole week while Sarah & Ed went down to [warmer & sunnier] Florida for Ed's job. For me it was sort of like a retreat - a comfortable safe place away from the ordinary. Instructions in hand, fully stocked kitchen, each our own private bedroom and bath, even TiVO, and then two irresistible boys, what more could we ask for?
Oh, we were kept busy and we got tired, but we went along with the flow each day, smiling and often saying how lucky we were. Charley was such a big helper! He told us where things were, reminded me to read the instructions for the CD player in his room, pointed out where the garage door knob was in the car, and more. We played and played, kept our eyes on Henry's meanderings, had Elly over for a visit, took Charley to pre-school, took him over to Elly's one afternoon, laughed at my GPS Gertie, and then Team Grandma braved it all one cold day and went to lunch at Perkins with both boys! We read many books and some over and over again such as "What is a Wookie?" Coffee each morning, playing it by ear as to who would play and who would cook, who would bathe and who would read, all unplanned and spontaneous. The only thing set up ahead was that I (Grandma Barb) with my bedroom closest to the boys, would get up in the middle of the night for wakings and needs of that sort. Grandma Charlie agreed to get up around 6 am, Henry's usual rousing time. That worked like a charm and I think we both loved our duties. I should interject that this is from my viewpoint (Grandma Barb's) and if I didn't pull my weight, I apologize.
I treasured my quiet times with Grandma Charlie as well and enjoyed chatting and she watched my goofy TV shows (Idol & Survivor) and I watched her house shows on HGTV. Fun to dream! OK, so we played soccer - this picture shows Grandma Charlie being a goalie on her end and Charley just kicked a goal in my net on the other end. Henry loved it all too - he must have been playing defense mostly but sometimes he'd do a throw-in from the sideline. We played restaurant, board games, puzzles, storm troopers with Darth Vader, (after Grandma Charlie designed the outfit and masks), "gentlemen start your engines" with the race track, school (Grandma Charlie was the teacher), mailbox, hide the item and try to find it with clues, some Olivia TV, castle building with blocks, bus and taxi driver with an airport where R2 D2 would appear suddenly and surprise everyone. Then Henry's toys too. He would squeal with such delight and we just had to chuckle and clap along with him. It was so great getting to know both boys even better. We both felt bad because we didn't enforce Charley playing independently too sternly while we were there like Mama wanted. It was very hard to turn down his enthusiastic pleas to play. Sorry about that parents -- but hey, we are grandmothers and we loved your boys, fed them well, kept them on their schedule, but just couldn't resist playing! We'll never forget it and I value the time like a treasure. Thank you. Love, Grandma Barb
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
we definitely need to get rid of that red couch and get something on the wall above the couch. HAHAHA! Not the comment you were expecting!
I remember you telling about this when you returned to work.
Post a Comment