Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Recipe #3 - This is fun!

Something about the month of January and cooking, for me anyway... maybe because I have a little extra time - I love it! So last week we bought a large half ham and cooked it just for the two of us - yum, but lots left and I was excited. Carved it up for some new recipes and nice slices for sandwiches too.

I loved stuffed peppers and this new recipe is now my favorite! I used YELLOW peppers instead of green because they looked awesome and fresh in the store.


Ham Stuffed Peppers
  • 1 1/2 cups cooked unsalted regular rice (1/2 cup uncooked)
  • 1 cup (5 ounces) diced cooked ham
  • 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
  • 1 jar (15 1/2 ounces) spaghetti sauce
  • 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded Cheddar cheese
  • 1 can (2.8 ounces) Durkee French Fried Onions
  • 1/4 teaspoon seasoned salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 4 medium green peppers, cut into halves lengthwise and seeded
  • 1/4 cup water

Preheat oven to 350. To hot rice in saucepan, add ham, corn, 1 cup spaghetti sauce, 1/2 cup cheese, 1/2 can French Fried Onions and the seasonings; stir well. Spoon rice filling into green pepper halves. Arrange stuffed peppers in 8 x 12 inch baking dish. In small bowl, combine remaining spaghetti sauce and the water; pour over peppers. Bake, covered, at 350, for 30 minutes or until peppers are done. Top with remaining cheese and onions; bake, uncovered, 5 minutes or until onions are golden brown. Makes 4 servings.

I made two pans and froze one before baking, for later.




















I wouldn't change a single thing about this recipe. The peppers weren't soggy, the combination of ingredients was perfect, and onions on top a nice crunchy touch.

1 comment:

Colleen said...

These look YUMMY!!!! I will definitely have to try it out!