Our good friends from Des Plaines visited us "all of a sudden" which was awesome. We hung out, laughed, ate too much, rode the Lake Geneva ice cream social boat and sampled Bob's home made peach pie. It was so very good to see them and just be together. We have so many memories to share with them. Looking forward to an October get-away adventure.
More new things: made homemade Salsa with Bob and we love it! Thankful to Randy for sharing the recipe and our bounty of fresh tomatoes. Took the Lake Express from Milwaukee to Muskegon with friends and stayed overnight without a car. Great Farmer's Market and wanderings about town. I went to the Walworth County Fair alone for a morning and smirked my way around the cows and steer, meat auction, and bunnies. Ate what I wanted, when I wanted, and went at my own pace. Bob slept in, had no interest since he grew up on a farm. I still have this secret dream to make a cow calendar with my photos. Joined the Williams Bay Civic League (with Lois's encouragement) and hope to become comfortable with many nice ladies in our village. Had my first lesson in Mah-jongg, wow, mind boggling and so amazing. I hope to play it again before too much time goes by and I forget everything. Camped for 5 (FIVE) nights on our own campsite in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park.
...ok, I decided to just copy and paste here an email I wrote to my friends Tracey & Anna. It gives details that I myself may want to remember later on...
Hi Tracey and Anna,
Yes,
a little crazy here as we've been burning the candle at both ends. I
don't think you really want to hear about it, but I'll dump anyway.
We
were gone for 7 days/nights August 20 through August 27, thus no emails
during that time. We camped for 5 nights in Sleeping Bear Dunes
National Park and stayed in a motel on the way up and on the way home.
It was good weather (not warm enough to ride the waves though) and no
rain on our tent. Had a potty this time, so didn't have to walk in the
middle of the night to the nice bathrooms in the park. That made my
trip so much more bearable. Also I have a nice air mattress. Bob
bought himself a new air pad type thing to sleep on, so he was happy
too. Had electric so we could blow up the mattress and have lights and
charge our phones at night. However, we had no cell service most of the
time. We were with 3 other couples who have campers and we were all on
our own campsite. Ate suppers together and each of us took a turn
cooking and we went out one night. Bob and I brought our bikes and
loved the trails we found. The others did different things some days,
so we all were happy "campers". Had a bonfire every night and went to
bed tired. The dunes are beautiful and Lake Michigan on that side has
nicer sand, is cleaner and prettier blue. On our motel nights it was
just bob and me and we did live music, fun meals outside at restaurants
on the water and wineries.
Also
last weekend we took the Lake Express boat from Milwaukee across the
lake to Muskegon, Michigan and then we stayed overnight in a Holiday Inn
(with 6 other friends). We were on foot and enjoyed walking the town
finding a cool Farmer's Market, couple of wineries, a Museum (yes I went
too), etc. and nice meals out. We shared a room with another couple -
ok, so picture that! It worked out ok as we were all cooperative and
polite and both men snored softly.
I'm feeling retired and I'm living it now. The kids are telling me to make sure I get enough sleep.
Went
to the Fair by myself (you both know this since Anna gave me the free
ticket). Loved it to the max. Bob stayed home sleeping in and isn't as
interested in cows as I am. We went to see the Mummies music group at
State Fair; the Jimmy's music group at Whitnall Park; the tribute Eagles
band at the Belfry; and we will also go see the real group The
Buckinghams (before your time) at the Belfry next weekend. Going with
Lois and Don to the Badger game tomorrow and there are more Badger games
coming up of course.
Are you now glad to get this email from me?
We
had guests for 2 days and an overnight this week and I hung out with
Sharon from Glenview, Il while Bob fished with Jim. We are getting
tomatoes coming out of our ears. Have made salsa, chili and tomato
garlic sauce. Keeping up with the potatoes, broccoli, peppers and
onions.
Monica
invited Lois and me to join a retreat held at Grand Geneva for the
lunch part and Lois and I enjoyed seeing everyone from our department. I
plan to join the Williams Bay Civic League with Lois and possibly make
some local "ol lady" friends around here.
I
would like to invite you both over for supper one night. I have an
agenda for both of you of course. Zappos to order shoes and that
optical online store to buy some glasses and thought Tracey could help
me spend my money. Then maybe Anna wouldn't mind a few technical
phone/computer questions. Then some Nertz of course. But I wonder when
you two could come over? And would you even consider it Anna since
it's so far from your house? Before I throw out dates, Anna please let
us know if this is even a possibility?
OK, here come my questions now!
Tracey, did you go to that wedding or am I still way off on the date? Details needed.
How is school going now that it started?
What did Geoff do while on vacation?
Are you loving Runway? I am. I dislike the sisters and their annoying ignoring of others.
How was the Hunt Club Geneva National party?
Anna, how is the wedding weekend going? I hope you will share a photo or two.
How is your mom doing with the babysitting?
Hope Sue makes it to our next Book Club gathering. I love seeing her too.
Thanks again for the free Fair ticket and I'm sorry again for leaving Aurora and policies...
29. Al Capone Does My Shirts by Gennifer Choldenko, thanks Sharon G. for the idea! Loved this teen book.
30. Fever by Mary Beth Keane (about Typhoid Mary)
31. Last Night at the Lobster by Stewart O'Nan
32. The Sin Eater by Francine Rivers
33. The Coincidence of Coconut Cake by Amy Reichert (Bette P. chose for book club)
34. Into the Wilderness by Sara Donati (long but very interesting)
Gee, I need to go hide and just read, read, read! I will never make it to 52 books by the end of the year. Now I realize the truth of how much "reading" I accomplished on my rides to and from work.
I've had so many thoughts lately that I want to save to read later, but by the time I sit down here, whoosh and the thought is gone.
Garden plots are empty and ready for next year. We've made our notes and have plans to do it again! Bob is using up the rest of our potatoes tonight (making ham and scalloped potatoes). Best crops were tomatoes, peppers and broccoli. Had enough zucchini and yellow squash, but just didn't do enough with them.
My heart has been heavy lately and I'm so touchy, thought maybe it was post meno or old age, I don't know. I'm abrupt and bite heads off, geesh! Our kids are meaning so much to me right now that I could cry. One of our best friends is going through so much in his life, that it breaks my heart. And a dear relation is fighting that damn C battle too, but seems so strong! New life in our family is extra special. The joy of babysitting for 2 year old Crosby is breathtaking. All of these things bring tears at any moment.
Furnace didn't work so we had to get that repaired and discovered how cold feels. Microwave needs repair so we realize now how we miss it when it's not working. But, life goes on. I wish I could connect my photos easier to my blog. Oh well.
More next time. Fantasy football keeps me on my toes as I lose my way through the season. Meanwhile, we are just doing everything and also enjoying our quiet days too.
No comments:
Post a Comment