Sunday, February 11, 2018

2018

The year begins with Bob sick with the flu even though he had the flu shot, and then he had a tooth pulled.  So he’s been laying low and lucky me, I stayed well.

I’m watching as many nominated movies as possible and heading to appointments regarding my knee replacement surgery in February.

Getting updates on Ellery and each day in pictures he looks more and more like a little boy.  Slow down Ellery, stay a baby for awhile.

So Bob and I went to see Dr. Shivago on a big screen at the Lake Geneva Theater.  We saw it years ago on a date, more than 50 years ago to be exact.  I didn’t remember a thing about the story except beautiful winter scenery, Omar Sharif and the fashionable fur hats. Good movie and music.

Opened a bag of Christmas cards we’d received in 1999.  Sadly, several were from people who had passed away since then.  Geesh, really makes me ponder life in general.

January and February are great months to read!

1. The Wednesday Letters by Jason F. Wright (nice, Book Babes Book Club selection)
2. Behind Her Eyes by Sarah Pinborough (surprise ending)
3. The Dash Diet Weight Loss Solution by Marla Heller, MS, RD (took me a year to finish)
4. The Wonder by Emma Donoghue (really drags out....)
6. The Story of Arthur Truluv by my favorite author: Elizabeth Berg (I loved it!)
7. Turtles All the Way Down by John Green (For a YA book, it was heavy.)
8. A Stranger In the House by Shari Lapena
9. Land of Love and Drowning by Tiphanie Yanique
10. Little Deaths by Emma Flint (A "can't put it down" type ๐Ÿ’š)

My favorite photo of Ellery (with Fox) so far.  Made an 8x10 and hung it in our hallway to love every single day.


I have 3 calendars hanging in our kitchen and I love them all!

Super Bowl Saturday fun up in the Twin Cities with Glatzels - crazy that we saw Jimmy Fallon and Chris Pratt on Saturday while wandering Nicolet Mall.  Got into crowds where we couldn't move and still kept finding each other.   Started it all off with a visit at Greg & Liz's and Paul & Betty met Ellery and Fox.  Then we stayed overnight at Sarah & Ed's and watched the game with their family.  It was a great game, back and forth scoring and all of us seemed happy with the Eagles win.  We had an amazing table filled with food to enjoy also.  Neither Finn nor Fox seemed to fall in love with Paul.  ๐Ÿ˜Š

Recipes that I've received from family and friends are precious gifts.  Some I've especially love lately are:
Barb LeMahieu's cornbread.
Kathy Larabee's Roast Turkey Breasts.
Elizabeth Berg's Beef Cabbage & Tomato soup.
Virginia & Grandma Schneider's Cole Slaw.
Betty Glatzel's Chicken Salad (have had this a long time, but make it so often).
Mary & Gary Schneider's St. Louis Ribs.
Connie Dorfler's Loaded Pretzel Cookies.
Jo Bateman's Prime Rib (which to be honest, I have not made yet, but Greg loves, so I want to try it one of these days.
Sharon Gernady's Pasta Fagioli

Stopped at Harpoons for a gift card yesterday, it was almost empty, but there were two couples sitting at a middle table, drinking nice cocktails and playing cards on a cold day.  Looked perfect.

Bob has been snow shoeing a bit, and I'm walking around the blocks.  February 27 is the day I get a new right knee if all goes as planned.   Lots of snow this year, very pretty and I love it as long as the roads are clear for driving.

Some memories:  swinging so high on tall swings, climbing trees and eating lunch up there, the Busy Beaver Club, secret mailboxes out in the backyard lot line where neighbor friends and I would put notes to each other and then find them on a rainy day, feeling like a nerd while attending Santa Maria del Popolo Catholic School, watching all of my aunts and uncles interact with each other, staying home with Mom on Sundays and playing games or doing nothing, riding through the cemetery with Dad and Mom and Pat, going out to dinner when young and filling up on the water before the meal arrived, drinking milk like it was going out of style, always letting our father have the first pick of the meat on the platter, pogo sticking in the basement for hours and hours, playing with 8" dolls out on the sidewalk, going to Cedar Lake and Lake Michigan with the Ulrichs (Mom would have to walk up to Meadow Gold and get the car parked there, and I wonder how Dad got home from work those days?), and the dreaded 4-H Club.

OK, tons to happen the rest of this month which I should be able to write about in mid-March.  Happy Valentine's Day to all!

No comments: