Our first signs that anything at all was wrong, was on Labor Day, September 7, 2020. We drove up to Door County and met Glatzels at a winery in Kewaunee that has outdoor seating and live music. VERY enjoyable but Bob started to cough as soon as the music started. We were all thinking this was his annual/usual Schneider cough. We did not sit close to Paul & Betty and didn't go anywhere to eat with them. We did drive to Egg Harbor to listen to Betty's cousin "Just Joe" perform Karaoke on his front porch. We sat away from him on his lawn.
We had lousy rainy weather in Door County for our 3 night get-away but we weren't near anyone who seemed sick to us. And Bob continued to cough. We stayed in a private condo, talked to no other people, but we did wander/drive around the county wearing masks here and there, and ate only where there was social distancing provided. We brought plenty of food along of our own in case we couldn't find outdoor dining. By night 2 and 3 Bob started even wearing his mask to bed and said something didn't seem quite right. We played dominoes at the kitchen table there, while he coughed.
We got home on Thursday 9/10/20 and Bob suggested we both sleep in separate bedrooms. Friday morning 9/11/20 Bob called his doctor to get a test. It was set up for Saturday 9/12/20 at 9:45 at Mercy Hospital nearby. Meanwhile I was cooking fresh homemade chili and other recipes as I felt ok, but I did cancel helping Raina out Friday afternoon due to Bob's test possibly being positive. I was going to watch the boys while she went to her job in Milwaukee for couple of hours.
Friday night 9/11/20 is when I started with a cough and a low grade fever, so then I was really glad I didn't to to Raina's. I started aching, headache, lazy, and that low fever on and off all weekend. Neither one of us could taste the home made chili and I even added several more dashes of chili powder, to no avail. We looked at each other and couldn't believe that we didn't taste (or smell) anything.
September 14, 2020
Monday morning I made an appointment for a test, and had to go to Aurora Kenosha's hospital for it. Later that day Bob's test came back positive and he spoke to his doctor's office and the County Health Department, answering questions. I made a beautiful (if I do say so myself) pan of oven baked beef stew (which we were testing to see if we could bring it to share while camping in mid October). Well, we couldn't taste a thing again. We are now both staying home and counting our quarantine days to complete recovery, hopefully.
I knew I had it now, as too many symptoms fit the virus description. Wiped out, weak, not hungry, low fever at times daily, very bad cough. My ribs hurt from my cough. Can't taste anything.
Now the kids are calling and texting and suggesting things of all sorts and asking constantly if we are better, worse or the same each day. It seems to take forever for my results to come through.
Bob has upper respiratory issues, is coughing and is tired.
9/16/2020 Wednesday
Called my doctor's office to get a prescription for some cough medicine to try to ease my cough. VIRTUSSIN AC 100-10mg/5ml. Started feeling nauseous almost immediately after taking it.
9/17/2020
Received online results from Aurora that I tested positive.
9/18/2020 Friday
I'm nauseous (maybe from liquid cough med) and can't control my cough, ribs hurt, so Bob forced me to call my doctor again to get something else to help me. Talked to a Covid Call Nurse (Kathy) first, then a triage nurse from my doctor's clinic, and finally my doctor's nurse. They called in 2 prescriptions: ONDANSETRON (Generic Zorfran) 4mg for nausea. BENSONATATE 100 MG for cough. Bob picked it up, curb side service at Walmart.
Someday
- ask Raina for date: (19th I think) She dropped off on front porch (from her, Greg
& Sarah) balloons, magazines, frozen ices, soup, gum (my favorite
kind) 7-UP, ginger ale, wipes, crackers, shoestring potatoes, tea, and
other items. It was amazing! She also chalked a "you got this" note
out on our driveway and left a paper chain to countdown the days
until we would be better. She didn't come near us, she called me and I talked to her while she was on our driveway and I was in the house.
Tuesday 9/22/2020 My cough has lessened. I'm still slightly nauseous and not tasting or hungry, but my eyesight has taken a dive. So I looked up both new meds and sure enough, the Ondansetron has a side affect of blurry vision. So I stopped taking that med. Couldn't read very well. I actually think I need new glasses, and from a proper facility, not ordering online next time.
Kathy the COVID only nurse from Aurora has been very helpful.
Bob is feeling better but coughing a lot!
Monday 9/28/2020 (My parents' wedding anniversary 9/28/1946)
I feel 90% better today, human! My vision has improved! Dealt with a few things around here this morning. Just a little tired and out of breath when I walk fast around here or try to do something a bit physical. Otherwise, I can taste food a bit now, no fever, very little cough, no nausea, very few aches and pains, no headache. Hip Hip Hurray! Haven't had a fever since Sunday evening 9/20/2020.
Received a box of 5 dinners from Freshly, gift from Pat P. and Emma. What a joy~~~ Just pop in the microwave, healthy suppers, so fun. I also had it in me today to make peach cobbler out of little plastic lunch size diced peaches that the Roeders gave us because they don't like them (from school lunches). Bob loved it and I had to admit I enjoyed it also, with a little vanilla ice cream.
Tuesday 9/29/2020
I feel 95% human today - that's amazing. No nap needed, diced fresh garden green peppers for the freezer, organized my canned jars to go into the basement, talked to a bill vendor and paid the bill, worked for at least 3 hours on my Fantasy football team - ok that is WAY too long! Also drove to the post office, masked, and went inside to mail an envelope to Grandma Charlie. Love checking things off my list. Bob is still coughing, dry hacking, way too much. Sometimes it's the little things in life~~~put new earrings in, hung up laundry for our closets, brought in the garbage cans from the road. Shooting for feeling 100% tomorrow.
Wednesday 9/30/2020
Well not 100% at all. Woke up to bad lower back pain. Tried ice, then heat, X strength Tylenol, nothing helped. So back down to feeling 85% because it hurt all day long. Ponder what caused this and finally thought maybe it's gas. Of course googled it and it could be that. Geesh, caused by what I'm eating or not eating? We need groceries.
Thursday 10/2/2020
Bob got a regular flu shot at Walmart while picking up some meds.
10/3-7/2020
Some days Bob goes outside and cuts the grass and trims. Other days he just gets up late, eats, and sits in the den with the TV and plays solitaire on his phone. He coughs so much that I always know where he is in our house.
But in the midst of everything, we still cook dinner every other night and this is Bob's first homemade lasagna.
And this is my first ever homemade frittata.
We harvested many peppers this year, they are beautiful and Bob chops and spreads on a cookie sheet and freezes. We have bags to use in our eggs and chili and other recipes all year long.
Thursday 10/8/2020
We had dentist appointments, but when I got there, he wouldn't work on us. He asked if I had another test to make sure I'm not still positive, (that was not appropriate) but I told him Aurora and Mercy wouldn't do that. I had asked the nurses at both places about it and she said no, that as long as we have quarantined (I did for over 3 weeks) and then were symptom free of fevers etc., that we could continue our public lives by wearing masks, social distancing, being safe by not going to bars etc., and washing diligently. If we were tested again, it would show that we still had COVID because some dead DNA, or whatever it's called, is still in our system being absorbed. We are not contagious, but test would show we still have it. But our dentist is an older small town guy, and doesn't have all the bells and whistles that the more modern facilities have. So we postponed our appointments for another month.
Friday 10/9/2020
Bob's birthday and he is still coughing a lot. Should I call his doctor since he won't? I did call and they were very nice and prescribed a different inhaler and some cough pills. We went for a walk in the Southern Kettles because it was a beautiful day. Must admit, darn it, we did stop for a really early supper at Fork In The Road because they had outside dining in the back, just a few tables spread apart, wait staff in masks, weather perfect. We felt so guilty the entire time, but we did enjoy a great supper and toasted his birthday.
It was a nice hike. Bob did over 4 miles and I only did about 1 1/2 due to my left knee.
Wednesday 10/14/2020
He is coughing less and less, has energy and no other symptoms.
Friday 10/16/2020
I saw my regular doc for a checkup, got an EKG and got the heavy duty regular flu shot.
Tuesday 10/2/2020
Bob was able to go to the dentist and get his front tooth repaired.
Friday 10/23/2020
He is still coughing a little bit, but taking his prescriptions and running that humidifier. I still feel 100%. Thank You!
10/28/2020
Bob's cough is minimal. He drove me to St. Luke's for an appointment with my ortho surgeon who did my right knee replacement. My left knee has been bothering me more and more lately. So yes, after an MRI it shoes a really messed up knee. Surgery is all he can recommend, no alternatives suggested. He gave me a cortisone shot and now I must schedule surgery for at least 3 months after the shot.
Guess I should schedule it for the end of January as we are all staying home anyway.
And, we got a new desktop computer today from Milwaukee PC in Waukesha. Ahhhhhh they copied everything over and it doesn't have that loud fan noise any longer.
11/1/2020
Bob's cough is literally gone, knock on wood.

So I think I'm going to stop this COVID blog soon, with just a few general comments. And we wonder if we are now immune or if we could get it again, no one knows.
I was told by a few people that once the election is over, that the whole COVID thing will be over too. That it's all political. But no! It's real and people will continue to get it, give it to other people, have to go to the hospital, and die. It's not just political, it's REAL! It's worse than ever right now in Wisconsin and many other places.
11/8/2020
Al Kohls posted this on Facebook:
"I am making this post so it will show back up as a future memory on my timeline: Today is four days after the 2020 election. Gasoline is currently $1.80-2.10 per gallon. Interest rates are 2.65% for a 30 year mortgage. The stock market closed at 27,848, even though we have been fighting COVID for 9 months. Our GDP growth for the 3rd Qtr was 33%. We had the best economy ever until COVID and it is recovering well. We have not had any new wars or conflicts in the last 4 years. North Korea has been under control and has not been testing any missiles. Isis has not been heard from for over 3 years. The housing market is the strongest in over 20 years. Homes have appreciated at an unbelievable rate and sell within hours of going on the market, with multiple offers. I hope our new leadership can build on these things and can keep them going, but if I were a betting person I would bet that the only place we will see these results will be in this post. (Copied)
Keep a copy to compare later. 11-7-2020
We will compare this time next year!"
So I printed this off for myself along with our current investment totals.
11/14/2020
COVID 19 is NOT over, it's bombarding Wisconsin right now. Most schools are going virtual until sometime in January 2021. The election DID NOT stop this pandemic in any way. Bob and I canceled a couple more things and are staying home as much as possible, per Governor Evers' suggested proclamation this week.
---
50 years from now, I won't be alive. But what I'd tell people about the pandemic is this: wear masks right away, social distance right away, and respect direction from top people right away. New habits I formed was to enjoy our yard, gardens, and eat healthy. It was extremely special to watch our plants, trees, bushes and ferns grow and mature. Like we just sat and were amazed daily at how they changed. We left our bird feeder up all year and turned our kitchen table so we could see the birds better. Communicated with friends and family in ways other than in person. Screen time definitely increased twofold. Zoom helped stay in touch with family and friends. Loved playing Hearts online with family members. Bob and I cook supper every other night. Bob usually gets groceries with his mask on and I wipe things down when he gets home with it. There are shortages of some things - toilet paper and wipes at first and things like tapioca and rice later on. When we leave our home we had masks with us at all times. We only tried to enjoy take out food, or outdoor seating restaurants. We enjoy hiking different parks because we have spare time to do that now. In the winter, Bob did more puzzles, I cleaned drawers and closets and went through old photos. Our kids were on top of us constantly while Bob and I had COVID, checking in with us daily and asking lots of questions. Most of everyone in our families do not feel invincible. I personally have no patience for those who think masks are a joke. Our hair did grow too long while we waited until it was safe to get hair cuts. Bob looked like a 60's guy and mine was just a mess. I stopped writing friendly emails to some friends because nothing changed and there was no news to share, except to complain about things. We craved our friends and relatives to the max. I craved playing cards, dominoes or games in general. The holidays were very different. They ran out of hams at Easter time. Obviously I kept reading and listening to books.
59. The Housekeeper by Natalie Barelli (another nail biter)
60. The Last Flight by Julie Clark (I could not stop reading this one!)
61. The Guest List by Lucy Foley (recommended by Pat P. a true "whodunit"?)
62. Unbroken Threads by Jennifer Klepper (slow start, but then interesting re: Syrian refugees)
63. Labor Day by Joyce Maynard (I loved it, a short book)
64. The Book of Two Ways by Jodi Picoult (Hard start for me [Egypt], but then of course hooked.)
65. The Vanishing Half by Brit Bennett (recommended by Liz). Listened to it and enjoyed it lots.
66. Breath by James Nestor (recommended by Greg). After I read half of it, Greg said I could stop. Very interesting NF about breathing (though the nose instead of the mouth).
67. The Last Anniversary by Liane Moriarty (Betty G. book club selection). Lots of characters and slow read for me, until the end.
68. I'll Be Seeing You by Elizabeth Berg. Well, I absolutely loved every word of this memoir, nonfiction book. Finished it in less than a day, doing nothing else fun in between normal life (no TV, outside, etc.). Just sat down and embraced her every word.
PS: I received this email from a very good friend today 11/14/2020 and post it here for a reality check:
No comments:
Post a Comment